If the weather is cold outside, you likely rely on your home’s heating system to keep you toasty and warm. However, before you crank up your fireplace or furnace, you need to make sure your home’s carbon monoxide detectors are working properly.
The Dangers of Carbon Monoxide
Tasteless, odorless and colorless, carbon monoxide (CO) is a toxic gas that is commonly produced as a byproduct of fireplaces, wood stoves, water heaters, ranges, and gas-powered furnaces. The combination of poor indoor ventilation, malfunction, and lax maintenance can result in the gas building up to extremely dangerous levels. If this problem persists, it can lead to symptoms such as loss of consciousness, headaches, dizziness, fatigue and even death.
The Importance of CO Detectors
It is essential for you to not only install carbon monoxide detectors but also to keep them in good condition. This is the key to keeping yourself, as well as everyone else in your home safe from the possibility of CO poisoning. A few things you can do to ensure your CO detectors are working properly are found here.
Test the CO Detectors Regularly
Testing CO detectors is quite easy. Just press the test buttons located on the sensor, so it cycles through the alarm functions. This can help you verify the detector works. The majority of CO detectors will emit a high-pitched beeping that is much louder than the traditional smoke detector.
Replace the Batteries Promptly
A battery operated carbon monoxide detector usually requires the batteries to be changed every 48 months. Several hard wired detectors use batteries as a backup power source. Make sure to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations regarding how often the batteries are changed.
Use a CO Detector Test Kit
These kits are available for purchase at any local hardware store. They will test that your home’s detectors can indicate when high concentrations of CO gas are present. Most kits include an aerosol can that is filled up with CO gas and a plastic bag or container that is designed to go around the detector during the test.
Replace Non-Working Detectors
If you discover that one of your CO detectors is not working properly, then it is imperative you replace it as quickly as possible. If you don’t, you are putting yourself and your family at risk of CO poisoning.
Call in the Professionals
If you are unsure if your CO detectors are working properly, or don’t have the time to test them yourselves, then it is time to call in the services of the professionals. They can inspect your CO detectors and determine if any repairs are needed. They can also figure out if it is time to replace any of the sensors in your home.
If you need more information about CO detectors, contact the team at Teague Electric. Not only can the professionals here help provide maintenance for your existing sensors, but they can also install new sensors to ensure your family remains safe.