How often should residential homeowners get their wiring inspected?
Electrical wiring is one of the most important tasks we cover at Teague Electric. Homes with faulty or loose wiring are at risk for shocks, fires, or at least poor performance from appliances. This post will help you determine whether you should get a home safety inspection soon.
General Recommendations for Wiring Inspection Service
You can call us anytime to audit or inspect any electrical components in your home. We do, however, recommend having an electrician look at your wires, outlets, breakers, and other circuitry at least every three to five years. While you can do minor things like test/retest your GFCI outlets, it’s also vital to have an electrician look over them more closely.
Reasons to Get Your Wiring Inspected
What are the main reasons to have your wires inspected?
- Reduce the Chance of Electrical Fire
- Compromised electrical equipment is the most common cause of home fires in America. What typically sparks a fire? It can come from faulty/obsolete wiring, poorly executed DIY wiring, and overloading circuitry with too many appliances.
- Improve Energy Efficiency
- If the wires are in terrible condition, it can cause you to use more electricity than necessary. This will have an adverse effect on your utility bill.
- Post-Remodeling Checks
- Are you remodeling your home? If so, it’s smart to have a trained electrician review the finished result.
- Replace Obsolete Wiring
- Older homes might have obsolete electrical components, including “knob and tube wiring.” If that stuff is still in your home, you’ll want to replace it to avoid numerous safety problems.
- Guarantee Your Home Meets the Electric Code
- Electrical safety is such a big deal that we have multiple codes that require strict compliance, including the National Electric Code (NEC) and local codes around Kansas City. This should be a priority for any homeowner, especially if you decide to sell your home someday.
Other Common Electric Hazards We Can Identify/Repair
While you have us over to look over wiring problems, we can also check for other common electric hazards.
- Light Bulb Problems
- Do your bulbs seem to chew through electricity, burn out too fast, or seem way too hot? You don’t have to put up with poor-performing lights any longer. Many homeowners replace the traditional incandescent bulbs with much more efficient and modern LED lights. This works indoors and outside your home.
- Electrical Hazards for Children
- Teague Electric’s inspectors can give you advice on how to childproof your home from electrical hazards. Two of the best ways to do this involve relocating certain appliances and using outlet covers.
- Water & Electricity Concerns
- It’s important to have proper wiring and GFCI protection for fixtures and outlets that are anywhere near water. Ask us about this the next time we visit your home.
- Unsafe Use of Extension Cords
- Wires are not the only things that can fray and become unsafe. It’s common for us to find folks using extension cords the wrong way, causing them to break and produce a fire or shock hazard. These should never go under doors or in any arrangement that would cause some to trip over them.
Get Your Wiring Inspected Anytime with Teague Electric
Our inspection service is well worth your time if you live anywhere in the Kansas City metro area. It’s a wise move if you want to protect your family from all the dangers that result from suspect wiring. We also help homeowners with several other electrical repair services or by installing advanced amenities like security systems and home automation.
Teague Electric enjoys lots of positive customer feedback for these important home electrical tasks. Our Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating is a consistent A+ and our review score is almost perfect on sites like Google Reviews and GuildQuality.
Contact Teague Electric to get your home wiring inspected ASAP if you encounter any of these problems.