Now it’s time to discuss the advantages of selecting either a standby generator or portable generator to protect your home against power outages. This is an important consideration if you want to keep the lights running, but aren’t sure which is most appropriate for your specific needs. Here’s what you need to know about home generators and how Teague Electric can help install one.
Reasons to Get a Standby Generator
A standby generator is a device that provides emergency backup power to your home whenever the lights go out for any reason. Unlike portable generators, these are wired directly into the electrical system. They operate from fuel sources like propane or natural gas.
There are quite a few reasons getting a standby generator is a brilliant investment.
- Manufacturers design them to detect an outage, activate fast, and then turn off as soon your primary power source resumes. You, as a homeowner, don’t have to do anything.
- It’s a great resource if you have elderly relatives who require electronic life-sustaining medical devices. Likewise, it’s a great way to keep your children calm during a power outage.
- Have you ever had to endure several hours or even multiple days of no electricity? A backup generator allows you to keep your refrigerator and freezer running. Otherwise, you’d lose hundreds of dollars of food.
- Generators are easy to maintain with little more than an occasional inspection to make sure they’re still working.
Reasons to Get a Portable Generator
Portable devices do essentially the same thing as standby generators. The primary difference is a somewhat lower power capacity, and portable ones often make more noise. Also, these will require manual activation, whereas standby models work independently.
Here are the primary advantages of owning a portable home generator.
- They cost significantly less than standby generators. You’ll have to make a needs assessment, but portable models work well for smaller homes, or ones that don’t depend on as many appliances. If you just want to keep the basics running during a storm, this is a cost-effective solution.
- You can even get comparable energy output if you connect a portable device to a circuit breaker panel (requires a transfer switch installation).
- They consume roughly 12 to 20 gallons of gasoline per day. That’s substantially less than the propane or diesel you might go through with standby generators.
Standby or Portable Generator Installation Service
So, if you’re looking for a more premium product, the standby generator is the way to go. However, you can get most of what you need from a portable device, and at a fraction of the cost.
At any rate, you can always count on fast and effective generator installation service when you hire Teague Electric. One of the best generators is the Kohler brand. They have many gas, diesel and other models (all of which receive 5-star product reviews). Best of all – we’ve earned the status of Authorized Dealer, allowing us to install anything you buy from them.
Teague Electric: Kansas City’s Most Reliable Electrical Installation Contractor
Teague Electric is not only the best Kansas City company for generator installation but also your top option for electrical repair services, panel upgrades, home theater installation, and more. You can even count on us for commercial business electrical services and help with security systems.
The online business evaluator, BloggerLocal, ranks us among the Best Electricians in the KC metro area. We also have well over 1,000 positive testimonials from customers on sites like GuildQuality or Google Reviews. Finally, all of our staff is trained, certified, licensed, and bonded to perform electrical work that satisfies all the relevant state and municipal electrical codes.
Contact us today to install either a standby or portable generator for your Kansas City home.