Tips For Preventing Electrical Shock

Tips for Preventing Electrical Shock

residential electrical panel, preventing electrical shock

Table of Contents

Did you know that more than 30,000 non-fatal shock accidents occur every year? This is surprising to some, especially since it is so easy to prevent electrical shock. All you need to do is to know what to avoid and what to look for. When you have some basic safety training and knowledge, you won’t have to join this statistic.

Cover Outlets and Sockets

Light switch covers and wall plates aren’t just used to make sockets more aesthetically appealing. They also help to keep debris from getting into the sockets and can shield small fingers from exposed wires. It is crucial that you never stick metal utensils or your hands into a wall socket. The current created by an electrical shock may result in an injury, and in some cases, death.

Replace any Damaged or Old Equipment

If you have noticed that your electrical equipment has started to spark, emits small shocks, has frayed wires or is not safe to use, then it may need to be repaired or replaced. If there are any wires sticking out from the wall, don’t mess with them. Make sure to have an electrician come in and inspect the wires, especially in cases when they appear damaged.

Store the Cords in a Safe Manner

When it is time to store cords, don’t ever twist them. This can create haphazard knots or other issues that cause damage. Make sure that you put them away where they are not accessible to children or pets. There are some stores that sell cord organizers, which makes it easy to stow away cords until they are needed.

Don’t Store Electrical Devices Near Water

You should never leave your electrical appliances in a location where they may fall into the bathtub or sink. If an appliance does accidently fall into the water while it is plugged in, turn off the power to the circuit before you try to pull the device out of the water. Make sure it dries out completely and ask an electrician if it is safe to use again. Also, store any exterior appliances in a dry area where they are safe from swimming pools, hoses, or rain.

Don’t Overwhelm Your Outlets or Power Strips

You need to avoid having an excessive number of appliances plugged in at once and running off of the same power strips or outlets. If you do this, it can lead to a blown fuse, overheating, or an electrical fire. Make sure to use extension cords sparingly and only use them on a temporary basis when you are handling work around the house. If you have to use extension cords all the time, it may be better to have another outlet installed.

If you have more questions about preventing electric shock, contact the technicians at Teague Electric. They can provide repairs and information regarding how to handle electrical devices, wires, and cords safely.

Author picture
Author picture